House Under The Rock

_8204097a.jpg
House Under The Rock - Discovery of two well-preserved mummies led members of an 1880 archeological expedition to call this site Mummy Cave. The traditional Navajo name for this impressive setting is Tseyaa Kini - House Under the Rock.

The larger rooms and masonry of the central tower area are Mesa Verde in style and contrast with the coarser construction in the smaller rooms at either side. This dramatic evidence suggests that people from the Mesa Verde area may have moved into Canyon de Chelly sometime around AD 1280.

Photo album created with Web Album Generator